Soda City Sewing has joined the thousands of seamstresses nationwide to make masks to help where there are low supplies of medical grade masks.
If you’d like to purchase a few masks for yourself, and to support our efforts, please purchase here. Your purchase will also help support our medical office mask donations. Medical offices need to make no purchase to receive masks! Please just email us to request yours. Your order of 2 personal use masks will help continue making these donations possible. Also, to pick up your masks in Columbia, SC (and get yours a couple of days quicker), use code PICKUP for no shipping charge.
We have added a larger size that seems to be preferable for most men. These are 1″ taller and the elastic is .5″ longer. Most people can wear the “Regular” size (men and women). However, most men may find the “Large” size more comfortable, and some women may prefer that as well. You may want to order “Regular” size for teens. In the photos, the man with grey is wearing “Large” and woman with floral mask has “Regular”.
We do not encourage mask use for children under 3, as they can pose a suffocation risk for infants. Our child size is for 6-10 year olds, and toddler size is for 3-5 year olds. Many 12 year olds and up wear the regular adult size. Use your judgement however- I have 3 year old twins where one wears a child size and one wears a toddler size. So please select the option that best represents their size (if not age) at checkout.
We are making these with fabric scraps and remnants so designs will vary. We’ll try to save plainer, more masculine ones for males, and florals and lighter colors for women. There are preference options at checkout but since these are primarily to protect and donate, we can’t guarantee exact fabric options.
Notes about fabric masks:
- Ours have elastic ear loops and may not be suitable for a sterilizer.
- Ours will be great to machine wash/dry
- Three layers of 100% cotton fabric, including a filter pocket.
- Pleated at sides for a snug fit
- Regular Adult Size: Approximately 8.5×3″ finished with 6″ of elastic
- Large Adult Size: Approximately 8.5×4″ finished with 6.5″ of elastic
- Child Size (6-11): Approximately 7×2.5″ with 5.5″ of elastic
- Toddler Size (3-5): Approximately 6.5 x 2.5″ with 5″ of elastic
This helpful article also mentions possible filter options. https://www.nytimes.com/article/coronavirus-homemade-mask-material-DIY-face-mask-ppe.html
- Not ideal for front line contact with infected people
- Best for medical offices where risk is not as great
- Varying studies tout 50-70% blockage of airborne particles in 2 layer masks without filters
- Our (unscientifically tested) hope is 3 layers plus a filter helps that percentage
- Any type of mask can prevent touching of face, which is helpful
- Many are putting fabric mask OVER a medical grade mask so that mask can be reused longer and protected
If you have a medical office in need of masks, please email email@example.com from an official work email address.
- Number of males and females who need masks
- Type of office
- Mailing Address
- Any special requests (Pediatric fabrics, etc)
We’ll reply back with whether we can meet your need, and if we can’t, we’ll submit your request to our seamstress groups to find them.