Soda City Sewing has joined the thousands of seamstresses nationwide to make masks to help where there are low supplies of medical grade masks. We’ve had to hire more seamstresses to try to meet the huge demand out there. Please note delivery times at checkout and thank you for your patience and understanding!
If you’d like to purchase a few masks for yourself, and to support our efforts, please purchase here. Your purchase of 2 masks for $40 will also provide a mask to a medical office in need. Medical offices need to make no purchase to receive masks! Please just email us to request yours. Your order of 2 personal use masks will help continue making these donations possible. Also, to pick up your masks in Columbia, SC (and get yours a couple of days quicker), use code PICKUP for no shipping charge.
We are making these with fabric scraps and remnants so designs will vary. We’ll try to save plainer ones for males, and florals for women. There are preference options at checkout but since these are primarily to protect and donate, we can’t guarantee exact fabric options.
Notes about fabric masks:
- Ours have elastic ear loops and may not be suitable for a sterilizer.
- Ours will be great to machine wash/dry
- Three layers of 100% quilting cotton fabric, including a filter pocket.
- Pleated at sides for a snug fit
- Approximately 9×3″ finished for adult size, 6.5×2.5″ for child size (toddler size is the same, elastic is just shorter for toddlers)
This helpful article also mentions possible filter options. https://www.nytimes.com/article/coronavirus-homemade-mask-material-DIY-face-mask-ppe.html
- Not ideal for front line contact with infected people
- Best for medical offices where risk is not as great
- Varying studies tout 50-70% blockage of airborne particles in 2 layer masks without filters
- Our (unscientifically tested) hope is 3 layers plus a filter helps that percentage
- Any type of mask can prevent touching of face, which is helpful
- Many are putting fabric mask OVER a medical grade mask so that mask can be reused longer and protected
If you have a medical office in need of masks, please email email@example.com.
- Number of males and females who need masks
- Type of office
- Mailing Address
- Any special requests (Pediatric fabrics, etc)
We’ll reply back with whether we can meet your need, and if we can’t, we’ll submit your request to our seamstress groups to find them.